I was reading through sections of The Church Leader's Answer Book today and found this section helpful. We are in the midst of visioning and planning for our future and I found the section on fostering spiritual health during a time of change helpful (pp 136-137). Here is their "check up for change". They say, "as you go through a time of change, have a health and wellness checklist for your leaders to use each time they meett. You might begin with these:"
1) are we praying faithfully, asking the Lord to reveal spiritual diseases and injuries that might spread in teh congregation during this time of change?
2) are we as leaders pursuing "peace...and holiness" during this time (Hebrews 12:14)? Are we avoiding anyone's gripes or hurt because we'd rather not face those issues? Do wee need to address a brooding conflict between people?
3) what are the main concerns of those who are not enthusiastic about the change we're going through? Have we talked with them? have we prayed about these concerns in case the Lord shares this point of view?
4) Where is the Holy Spirit moving in our congregation this month? Is there anything more we should do to guide people? How shall we commend the congregation for evidences of grace and faith?
5) Where do we see sin or Satan gaining the upper hand? Is a failure to pursue peace and holiness blocking God's grace, or is a poisonous attitude taking root among us (Hebrews 12:14-15)? How should we address this?