Sunday, January 24, 2016

Necessary reminders

When I was going through a hard time, I talked to a colleague to get some advice. He was incredibly helpful and in the conversation said, "Remember this: you're not hopeless, you're not helpless, and you're not alone."  It was a trying time, and those reminders were both helpful and necessary. 

Last night I learned that a high school friend had taken his own life.  I was shocked and heartbroken.  And having experienced that kind of darkness before in my life, I knew how dark and isolating and awful it is.  And I wished that I could have shared these simple truths with him too...

You're not hopeless.
You're not helpless.
You're not alone.

The darkness will try to convince you otherwise. And it can be awfully persuasive. But I also know, the darkness lies. 

Though it might be impossible to feel and ridiculous to believe...there is always hope and there is help and we are not alone. 

I believe in the light and hope and redemption of the Gospel and so I trust in God's saving grace even in the midst of such tremendous pain. 

May we all be reminded and always know, we are not hopeless. We are not helpless. And we are not alone. 

No comments: