Tuesday, April 1, 2008

what would you be known for?

Recently I've officiated at 4 funerals and attended one family funeral. It's had me thinking a lot about how we remember people, or better stated, what they are remembered for. The night before my grandmother's funeral, my immediate family was gathered around the dinner table. I'm not sure how or why it came up (maybe b/c someone suggested we play a game), but they all started cracking up about how I was a horrible loser when we played games and a TREMENDOUS gloater if I won. My family members thought it was hilarious to recount my tantrums and celebrations. I turned a nice shade of red. Yep, that's one of the things I'm known for. Among some of the others are: long showers, self-punishment, and Kelly Kapowski bangs a decade too late. In a couple of weeks I will be going on a mission trip and a former summer camp youth (who is now grown and in college) will be with us. He's the kid I remember as: the one who always had a crush on someone but was always the "nice guy/friend" who never got the girl. What a way to be remembered. Hopefully he can reinvent (or at least re-portray) himself that week.

So, my question to you dear readers is two fold:
1) What would you remember me for/as?
2) What will you be remembered for/as?

1 comment:

chai said...

you'll be remembered by me as someone who gave love in every action she did. for someone who is self-less, pious, and giving. someone who finds humour in life. someone who actually gives a shit about other people. and someone wo took time for herself.

and someone who brought faith into my life. :)