Last night I met with my new (and 2 old) worship leaders to do some training and instruction. These were the basic tips we went over:
· Review materials (bulletin, scripture, prayer requests, announcements) before you start speaking
· Plan ahead what you will say
· Read scriptures ahead of time. Don’t be afraid to ask about pronunciation
o For difficult names/cities, practice
o Speak with confidence (remember, if you don’t know how to say it, most people won’t either, so just go with confidence!)
· Speak clearly and enunciate
· Bring something to write on or with (don’t simply rely on memory)
· Speak with boldness and confidence
· Don’t apologize or discredit yourself
· Remember God is a part of worship—all parts of it!
· Remember we are all part of the body of Christ—when one member hurts, we all hurt, even if a need/concern has been heard before, it is important that we acknowledge the pain/trial of a sister/brother in Christ
· As often as possible, acknowledge people by name
· If someone is soft spoken, repeat what they have shared.
· Organize prayer concerns and announcements by theme before you get up to share them…try to think of either moving up or down emotionally (highs to lows, or vice versa)