Thursday, February 18, 2010

Lenten renewal

Life has been hectic lately and I'm sorry I haven't posted more.  Not always for your sake (since I'm not sure how much you get out of it), but for my sake too, I need to write and process to work through things.  Writing is cathartic and healing for me.


Yesterday marked the beginning of Lent, with Ash Wednesday.  I started the day with a simple early service: communion, prayer books to read, and the institution of the ashes. We had about 15 people who started their day at our church with prayer, communion, and ashes. 

We decided to do an early service this year because of comments last year that people wanted to be able to use the sign of the cross as a witness to their faith throughout the day, so we gave that opportunity. 

For me it was nice to be able to share an early morning service with folks (and rekindled a desire to do a once a week communion short morning service before work for folks...) and it was also nice to have concentrated quiet time where I could read, pray, and think. 

The rest of the day proved to be as busy as the last (too many) have been.  Running from one thing to the next with only enough time to get the required task done, no more, no less. 

I'd like to say I don't know why I've been so busy, but the reality is, I do:

planning my wedding
officiating at (and planning) 2 weddings next week
a lot of counseling appointments
preparing for a trip to DC
planning an out of state mission trip
planning summer camp
planning a HUGE concert for May
community meetings
training new leadership
trying to be more proactive in worship planning

it's been busy and stressful. I've had headaches almost every day for 2 or 3 weeks. I've sort of lost count.

So, for Lent, I'm going to work on finding balance and trying to take some more time out.

I started with exercise this morning and hope to keep that up 3-5 times a week.  R and I have decided to fast from TV and hopefully that will free up some space to read and maybe create. I'd like to do some sewing and even felt inclined to paint/draw the other day. 

Blogging is another commitment I want to make.  I want to think through stuff, I want to write prayers, and I simply want to make the commitment to keep it up.  =)  So, here's to everyday blogging!!

No comments: