Friday, March 23, 2007

You're not the greatest thing since sliced bread....

....you're a servant. Those are the kinds of things good friends tell you. You aren't the best, you aren't supposed to be the best. There is no way you should expect perfection from yourself. You are a servant. Lowly. Now suck it up and move on. Now, let's be clear, I do not think I'm the greatest thing since sliced bread. I just think I should be. I mean, if I truly lived into the expectations I have for myself, I'd be the greatest thing since sliced bread, or at least something close. R reminded me of reality. I am a servant, and an imperfect one at that. I'm going to fail, fall short, have issues, break down, continue to be broken. And even in all that weakness, I can serve. That's my calling--to serve. Not to be perfect, not to be flawless, not to get it all right all the time, but to serve with a humble and compassionate heart. I need to be reminded of that and sometimes it takes the hard-edged southern boy to help me see the truth.

No comments: