Friday, March 21, 2008

Station 4

Pilate tries Jesus

John 18:33-37

Pilate then went back inside the palace, summoned Jesus and asked him, “Are you the king of the Jews?” “Is that your own idea,” Jesus asked, “or did others talk to you about me?” “Am I a Jew?” Pilate replied. “It was your people and your chief priests who handed you over to me. What is it you have done?” Jesus said, “My kingdom is not of this world. If it were, my servants would fight to prevent my arrest by the Jews. But now my kingdom is from another place.” “You are a king, then!” said Pilate. Jesus answered, “You are right in saying I am a king. In fact, for this reason I was born, and for this I came into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone on the side of the truth listens to me.”

*************************************

Pilate is just one more in a long list of people who doesn't get it.

He doesn't see Jesus.

He does not understand what he means for the world.

Sometimes it seems Jesus should have been more incredulous.

He was human after all.

"Are you the king of the Jews?"

Why didn't Jesus say, "Does it look like I'm the king of the Jews? They just handed me over to be killed. And you think I'm their king?"

It's good to know who's running this government.

"My kingdom is not of this world. If it were, my servants would fight to prevent my arrest by the Jews. But now my kingdom is from another place."

Why can no one see?

Who I am is bigger than right here right now.

Look at me, but look beyond me, look to the One who sent me.


No comments: