Friday, March 21, 2008

Station 7

Jesus carries his cross

John 10:17-18

The reason my Father loves me is that I lay down my life—only to take it up again. No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord, I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. This command I received from my Father.

************************************

********

The cross Christ bore was heavy, big, and cumbersome. Already having been whipped and beaten, he was forced to muster energy to carry the cross through the streets full of people who mocked, jeered, spat at, and hated him.

We can only imagine what that would have been like.

Take time now to be drawn into that moment.

Turn the hour glass timer and let your time begin.

Raise both your arms to a 90 degree angle out in front of you. Hold them there until the time runs out.

Even without additional weight your muscles will tire and may begin to burn. As you struggle with your own discomfort, focus your thoughts on Christ as he walked the Via Dolorosa through the streets of Jerusalem.


No comments: