Thursday, January 17, 2008

Boy is that a relief...

I have a youth team I work with that oversees, plans, and leads our youth group. We meet once a month and cover programming things and I've also wanted to help them grow spiritually and as leaders. This week we are supposed to be looking at Spiritual Gifts. I gave each of them a booklet with a survey and tells you what your gifts are. I've done a couple of surveys through the years and know my top gifts (or so I thought) but figured I should do the same survey they did so I could be sure we are on the same page. After answering all 160 questions I added up my totals and looked over the results. My top gift.....pastor. Now that's exciting!! I've thought my top gift was hospitality for the last 9 years or so, but it was nice to know that one of my most important areas of life (my full time vocation/job/profession/ministry) is also my top area of gifting! Woohoo! I might have actually had that call/giftedness thing right! And the other ones (wisdom, exhortation, helps, mercy, missionary, hospitality, leadership, administration, and intercessory prayer) come in handy and aren't terribly surprising (at least not as far as I'm concerned). And my bottom runners weren't terribly surprising either (exorcism, speaking/interpreting tongues, suffering, miracles, and evangelism).

Coincidentally we had a workshop on spiritual gifts for the Hispanic congregation today and it was a really great way to get to know my people better. It was interesting to hear which gifts they think they have (and to compare those with the gifts I see in them) and we had two of our newer ladies (they've only been twice) and to hear their giftedness and think about how they can be in ministry with us. "What spiritual gifts do you think God has given you?" will definitely be on my list of get-to-know-you questions for the future!

And for you my faithful readers...what are your gifts? (for the record, the list I have has 32 gifts!! in other words, there are plenty of options and lots of different ways God gifts the body)

No comments: