Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Is this just me?

Maybe I'm too old school or antiquated but I have yet to wrap my head around the modern phenomenon where youth (junior high generally) will walk up and ask me, a complete stranger, for money so they can buy soda, chips, or candy. Really, it baffles me. They have seemingly no qualms in making such a request. I generally pause a minute, looking bewildered, sometimes ask what the money is for, and generally say no. I'm often the giving type, but I don't think it's my role to feed the junk food diets of today's youth...does this happen to anyone else?

2 comments:

Tennessee Methodist Man said...

Friend this happens to me all the time. I have wondered these thoughts myself. I wonder if it is generational or social formed. I think you are good in now giving. Yet, I still wonder why>

RevErikaG said...

Yes...it does...
we're trying to teach our youth about world poverty (and have them do the 30 hour famine)...I wonder if this is indicative of the responses we get when we try and explain that people around the world go hungry....they bat their eyes and wonder why they just can't ask someone for change....