Thursday, October 25, 2007

Tortilla Soup

I love to cook, and more specifically, I love to cook for people. I have missed not having friends living close by (or in the same house) that I can cook for when I want. Tuesday night I was supposed to have a meeting but because of the fires and freeway closures, it was cancelled. So I treated myself to a night off. I read, cooked fried ravioli, and ended up inviting some friends over to share in the meal. It was nice. Nice to treat them to a night off from cooking. Nice to share a good recipe (thanks Aunt P). And nice to have company for the evening.

In an effort to share the cooking joy, I thought I'd share another recipe with you my readers:

Tortilla Soup (should serve 4)

In a large pot over medium heat:

1) Melt 2 Tbsp butter and add 1 Tbsp cumin seeds. Cook 2 minutes.
2) Add 3-4 cloves chopped garlic. Cook 2 minutes.
3) Add 1 cup salsa (whatever kind you like, cheap is good hear b/c it just blends in), 2 cans diced tomatoes, 2 cans (or 3-4 cups) chicken/vegetable broth.
4) Bring to a boil.
5) Reduce heat. Simmer 30 minutes, covered.
6) Remove from heat. Add 1/4 cup chopped cilantro.
7) Serve hot with shredded or 1/4" cubed cheese and fried tortilla strips (or tortilla strips).

Enjoy!

No comments: