Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Breakfast empanadas...a possible new tradition


This year there were only going to be three of us for Christmas breakfast and the plan is to eat dinner relatively early (like 12:30-ish...) and so the big breakfast of eggs, bacon, sweet rolls, fruit and whatever else we dream up for the table seemed a bit much. So, I went searching for fun breakfast recipes and finally decided (with the help of my sis) to make breakfast empanadas. I've never made empanadas, but I've eaten a fair number, and cook a good bit, so I figured I could make it work. And make it work I did!! They were wonderful. Definitely not "typical" for our family, but VERY nice nonetheless! If you're feeling adventurous, or just hungry, here are my tips if you're gonna take them on.

Tip 1: This recipe makes WAY more than 8! Easily 16-20 good sized empanadas. Plan for that. You could probably freeze the extra filling and use it another time, or just cut the recipe in half or a third.

Tip 2: I used puff pastry and that worked well. One box of puff pastry made 8 square emapanadas. Puff pastry is not authentic, but most likely neither is the filling since Emeril made it up. But who needs authentic if it tastes good?!?!

Comment: the recipe calls for Spanish chorizo. I have no idea what that is supposed to be, and I even lived in Spain. I used regular chorizo that you find near the bacon and Jimmy Dean. I used about 3/4 of the package.

Buen Provecho!

No comments: