Friday, May 16, 2008

Congregational tips

A few weeks ago I went to lunch with a handful of parishioners. Preparing for my move, I asked what stood out in their minds about former pastors they had had. In other words, what had they done well and what had they fumbled? What were the things that carried over in the long term? It may or may not be worth much to you, but I figured I'd share their thoughts. (in no particular order). Things they valued in a pastor:

  • Welcoming
  • Warmth
  • Deeply religious
  • Make the people learn about the Bible
  • Share background on the scripture passage
  • Patience
  • Compassion
  • Creativity
  • Listening
  • Does not air dirty laundry
  • Avoids politics
  • Builds up the people
  • uses humor in preaching
  • Eye contact
  • openness for people to share
  • Storytelling
  • visitation
  • knowing when to stop
  • contemporary preaching
  • spirit filled

No comments: