Thursday, November 1, 2007

For the Bible Tells me so

After reading Chai's post, and looking at the website I had to go see "For the Bible tells me so". I had to drive to Palm Springs since it was only showing at certain theaters, but decided it'd be a good chance to have "good" food since Hemet is limited as far as restaurants go. I couldn't find a sushi restaurant like I craved, but my soul knew better and I happened upon Big Mamma's Soul Food and it was awesome. After living in the South, I became particular about my soul food, and this hit the spot! My first question was, 'do you have sweet tea?' to which the waitress replied "yes." I confirmed, "Real sweet tea?" "Yes!" That's a litmus test in my mind, and it just got better and better from there. The fried catfish and collard greens were perfect! The cornbread and macaroni and cheese, just what the doctor ordered. AND they played gospel music in the cool warmth of a perfect starry night. My harried, hurting, and harrowed soul needed that meal more than I thought.

Sorry, I digress. The real reason for this post was to endorse "For the Bible tells me so". It was REALLY well done. It was honest, representative, compassionate AND not told from a Bible thumping hell-fire perspective. You saw folks from both sides of the fence and heard the stories of real people, real struggles, real pain, and real triumph. If you are looking to see the issue of homosexuality and the Church from a more moderate perspective, this is a great way to do it. I'd also HIGHLY recommend it for a conversation or study with youth, young adults, on up.


Because it's "indy" it may be hard to find in a theater for many of you, but hopefully once it's out on video we can find it through amazon or even Cokesbury (ooh...the thought of it!)

1 comment:

Molly Vetter said...

My hot tip of the week is that a group called Progressive Christians Uniting had a hand in making the film happen, and is interested in setting up screenings in churches.

They're having an organizational meeting here in San Diego this coming week, to see if there are folks who want to start a local chapter of PCU; I'll see if I can get more info about the film.

And, for the record, I agree with your review. I thought it was a wonderful film.