Saturday, November 3, 2007

Tofu Creamed Spinach



Up until about 3 years ago I despised Tofu. I had no real reason for this hatred. Just hated it for what it stood for (lack luster no-meat meals, I suppose). Growing up, I can't remember a single meal (aside from the one where mom made ice cream sundaes for dinner) where we didn't have meat at dinner. I'm not sure when it was in seminary or who exactly changed me, AP I think, but I was changed and started cooking some with Tofu. Unfortunately, most of my recipes are limited to soup, though there is tofu bowl from APW and fried tofu (fried chicken style). Today as I thought through what I would have for lunch, I knew I needed to use up the tofu (the rest was put in an Udon soup), and also knew I needed to eat leafy greens. So I started hunting and found this in my recipe files. I cooked it up. Put it on some pasta and enjoyed a good meal.

It's kinda like an alfredo sauce or regular creamed spinach, but it's low fat, and has the health benefits of soy. I even had a friend come to lunch impromptu and she liked it too.

Quick, Easy, and Healthy!

Tofu creamed spinach

INGREDIENTS

  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 pounds fresh spinach, washed and chopped
  • 1 (12 ounce) package firm tofu
  • 1/2 cup milk or soy milk
  • 1 cup Parmesan or Asiago cheese
  • 1 pinch garlic powder to taste
  • 1 pinch salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS

  1. Heat butter and olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in onion and garlic; cook until soft and translucent, but not brown. Add spinach; cook, stirring frequently, until wilted.
  2. Place tofu, milk, cheese, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in a blender, and puree until smooth.
  3. Stir pureed tofu into spinach. Cook until warmed through. Adjust seasonings, if desired, and serve.

No comments: