Friday, November 23, 2007

Book list

It has only been within the last few weeks that I have been excited about reading again. When I first started at the church, I also started in a church growth/planting/revitalization institute and both things had me reading up a storm to try and be a more informed/better pastor. Well, I think I overdid. I was reading a book or two a week and I think got overwhelmed by all there was to do and learn. About the time I burned out, I got cable...and well, let's just say I haven't been reading as vigorously. Nevertheless, after I found "An Unquiet Mind" I got back in the saddle and read that and have continued on. First of all, let me say "An Unquiet Mind" is an absolutely marvelous book. It is an autobiography about bipolar disorder and was SO helpful to read. Having studied psychology in college, I knew a clinical definition of it, but didn't reallyget it, but I think I am a lot closer. The author not only has the disorder, but she is also a leading professional/expert on it. So she knows what's up. I really recommend this book, especially if you work with folks who struggle with the disease (anyone in counseling should read it), or if you have someone in your life who struggles with it, or even know someone who knows someone because you will be better able to understand their trials (and triumphs).

After that, I got a bunch of books at Cokesbury and read "Sex God", which is also good. It's by Rob Bell and talks about issues of sexuality and how they relate to theology. He does a really nice job, and I really appreciate what he does with the Ephesians 5 chapter (a.k.a. "women submit to your husbands"), he frames it the way I have been thinking about it in recent months. I might write more on this later, but for now that's it.

Then, I got a call from a parishioner who had heard a women share her testimony and the parishioner wanted to give my contact info to the speaker. The speaker, Cheryl Cusella, called and shared some of her testimony with me and wants to speak at my church. I told her I'd talk to some of the women's groups and see if they'd be interested. Meanwhile, she had her mom drop off two copies of her book. I took one and gave the other to my senior. Well, I read it all yesterday and it was really pretty good.

Next on my list is "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" by Barbara Kingsolver, which a friend recommended to me. It's on order from the library, so we'll see when it gets in.

I have another 20 books, easily, sitting on my shelf waiting to be read, some on preaching, some on leadership, some on spiritual disciplines, and maybe a few leisure books. So I am sure I have plenty more to read without asking this question, but I'll ask anyway....anything you're recommending these days?
it. After reading, I am not sure that anyone without the disorder will ever really

No comments: