Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Dancing With God (author unknown)

When I meditated on the word Guidance, I kept seeing "dance" at the end of the word. I remember reading that doing God's will is a lot like dancing. When two people try to lead, nothing feels right. The movement doesn't flow with the music, and everything is quite uncomfortable and jerky. When one person realizes that, and lets the other lead, both bodies begin to flow with the music. One gives gentle cues, perhaps with a nudge to the back or by pressing Lightly in one direction or another. It's as if two become one body, moving beautifully. The dance takes surrender, willingness, and attentiveness from one person and gentle guidance and skill from the other. My eyes drew back to the word Guidance. When I saw "G: I thought of God, followed by "u" and "i". "God, "u" and "i" dance." God, you, and I dance. As I lowered my head, I became willing to trust that I would get guidance about my life. Once again, I became willing to let God lead. My prayer for you today is that God's blessings and mercies be upon you on this day and everyday. May you abide in God as God abides in you. Dance together with God, trusting God to lead and to guide you through each season of your life.
And I Hope You Dance
************************************************
I think this might be the perfect meditation for me at this point. I need to be relying more on God (and others in my ministry) and less on my own capabilities. I need to let the rhythm of the moment lead me and speak to me. And I need to let God lead. For those of you who know me well, this is not something I take to easily, I mean on some levels, sure, I let God lead, but with dancing in general, I do not follow well. The person leading has to be a dang good dancer (and leader) or I tend to be a bit rebellious in my following. If my lead is shoddy, I can't truly let myself go in the dance, and that is, after all, the point. Isn't it?? To lose yourself in the dance? To lose yourself in the ministry? To lose yourself in the moment?
And my hunch is, call me crazy, that God knows how to lead. =) I know, it's radical and a new idea, and gonna be rough for many of you to wrap your heads around! =) But I think God and I are going to start dancing: a little ballroom, una salsa, la merengue, maybe some line dancing or swing. God and I are going to have fun, get lost in the moment, and let the rhythms move us.

No comments: