Friday, February 2, 2007

Prince charming....

I was talking with a good friend from seminary tonight and in addition to enjoying safe and sacred space for sharing, we continued a long standing conversation about our willingness to get back on a relationship wagon. We both have a host of reasons for why we don't date (mine includes a history of prospects that think acts of stalking constitute love). We also shared our tentative hopes for relationships in the future. He asked, "Is Jesus a good enough husband for you?" As in, would you be willing to be single for life? Kinda. I mean, if I had some very VERY clear sign from God--like a posting on my front door, and then again on the fridge, and again on the bathroom mirror--that that was my calling, I could be okay with that, but really, I dig the idea of a life partner. My friend does too. And while, he does not readily believe God will answer all petitions for miraculous physical healing from cancer or AIDS (per his experience as a hospital chaplain where there is much suffering), he is willing to place full responsibility on God for bringing his future wife knocking on his front door. A bit skewed. We both recognize that. But, without actively seeking a date (or even places where I could meet a date), I'm not quite sure how else God will manage our encounter. And yet, while my friend looks forward to her knock, I think, "I'd call the police." I'm far from trusting that said knocker isn't a nut. Guess that leaves me, well, where does that leave me? Certainly not waiting for Prince Charming to knock, but also not out wooing the masses with hope that he might be amongst them....

2 comments:

gavin richardson said...

i have a close friend who has chosen that "Jesus is her boyfriend" which suits her pretty well. i think partly as she finds pretty horrible boyfriends who are not Jesus (even the pastor ones).

i met my wife in a church parking lot going to a conference meeting.. so it can happen within a stranger knocking at the door.

David said...

Hey, you know as well as I do that I was in a place where I was absolutely certain I was not going to be looking (Annual Conference) when I found Anna.
Of course, the thing to remember is that you have to answer the door in your scenario.
Peace,