Sunday, February 18, 2007

Move Yo, Get out the Road

My mantra this morning was "get out of the way so the people can see God." In re-evaluating what it is I think people should get out of my sermons, I boiled things down to wanting people to truly hear the Word and see God. So, as I sat preparing myself to lead worship, my prayer was to stand aside, for it to be Christ the people saw, and not me, God the people heard, not me. I have no idea what the people actually saw or heard (I rarely do), but I at least felt the onus of what they receive not so much on me as on God. I think I may need to be doing more getting out of the way. It's so simple and yet I somehow have to continuously relearn it. I think it was one of the first ministry mantras I happened upon: "It's not about me, it's about God and allowing God to work through me." I guess it's back to the basics for me.

1 comment:

John Wesley said...

Dear and Gentle Reader,

To understand the function of "self " in ministry is the beginning of wisdom.

Since I last had the pleasure of visiting ye, I have had many thoughts upon ye and your work in this, our online community. Keep hold the faith and continue to run the race! We will praise God for what he has done through your ministry and I cherish your willing spirit and compassion.

Who knows but it may please God to make ye an instrument in His glorious work? In effecting an union among the labourers in His vineyard? That He may direct and bless you in all your steps is the prayer of my heart.

Your affectionate and obedient servant,
JW