Friday, February 9, 2007

Tortilla Soup

Chai has recently taken on the challenge of becoming a full time vegan. i say challenge, because I am SO far from such a life move, it's not even funny. Though I wish I were dedicated enough to see something like that through...it's just not gonna happen right now. But, in honor of her new endeavor (and her current cold), here is one of my favorite veggie recipes (which easily becomes vegan friendly too):

Tortilla Soup:
In a large pot (over medium heat)
melt 2 Tbsp butter
add 1 Tbsp cumin seeds (you can substitute 1 tsp of cumin powder if necessary)
cook 2 minutes
add 3 cloves garlic, minced
cook 2 minutes
add
2 14oz cans (3 1/2 cups) vegetable (or chicken) broth
1 cup salsa
2 cans diced tomatoes

Cook covered for 30 minutes. Turn off heat. Add 1/4 cup chopped cilantro.

Serve immediately with fried tortilla strips (or tortilla chips) (and 1/4 cubed monterey jack cheese)

2 comments:

Brother Marty said...

Will save this recipe for my vegan offspring. Lord knows, it's so difficult to do Thankgiving dinner with vegans in the family! (I'm sick and tired of zucchini lasagna! Maybe this will be a good alternitave.)
Thanks for sharing.

Chai said...

oh, canNOT wait to do this soup. sounds so yummy. thank you for thinkinng of me and writing a post to help me. it's people like you who make people like me feel warm and fuzzy inside, when they are feeling yucky and phlemy on the outside.