Saturday, February 10, 2007

Spiritual Formation Goals

The other day, I received a package from Upper Room Ministries. I don't think I had ordered the book Creating an Authentic Youth Ministry, but was delighted to see it as I am having to rethink our youth program. I am only on chapter 4, but so far, I think the book is a gold mine of true wisdom. The author asserts that youth ministry cannot be independently healthy (at least not for long). He posits that the youth group's health is a DIRECT REFLECTION of the health of the larger congregation. That makes perfect sense to me, but I had never thought of it like that. I think all those in youth ministry should read this book, and especially those (no matter your role) who are at a church that wants youth ministry but can't seem to get it off the ground. From my reading this morning, I was left with a question (which I think gets answered in chapter 6, but I would like to hear your feedback): if we are to focus on spiritual formation (rather than leadership development or activities) what are the goals or benchmarks we are to cultivate and look for (either for our youth or for adults)?

No comments: